Greener Growth Garden Makeovers: The Method
Our garden makeovers are different in that they offer excellent value, enhance biodiversity and are incredibly high yielding as far as produce is concerned, but also low maintenance!
Seeing the potential
Throughout the project we work with and emphasise the excellent principles of permaculture. But firstly we listen to what you want to achieve in your growing space, whatever size it may be. We don’t necessarily call it a garden as not everyone has one, but that shouldn’t stop you developing your growing space. We’ll show you how our Greener Growth Garden Makeovers can help you can grow food and nature almost anywhere.
Once we understand what you’d like us to help you create and achieve, we then map and zone the area. Now this is where the principles of permaculture really come into play. We let nature do the talking and guide us to plan a space that is good for you and your environment. Here are nine things we consider:
- What is already growing well?
- Are there any micro-climates? These could be little pockets of warmth, extra sunshine, shelter or moisture that help dictate planting regimes.
- What is the area orientation – do you have a South-facing area?
- Where and how can we create easy access to things that need regular attention?
- Have you already got materials we can recycle and use? The answer is almost always yes!
- How can we maximise sustainability and your resources?
- Would vertical or container growing be suitable?
- A planting plan that helps maintain soil fertility and productivity.
- Could you make your own soil through mulching & composting by collecting green waste?
Getting down to work
We draw out what we think would work best to help you achieve your goals and maximize the potential of your space. Then it’s your turn. We discuss what you’d like to grow, harvest and eat from your garden, and what wildlife needs your help. Greener Growth doesn’t just turn up, do the job and leave. We prefer to get people as involved with the project as they want to be, teaching them as we ‘work’ together. A garden makeover shouldn’t feel like work though, creating something from ‘nothing’ is so much fun! For families looking to ‘up skill’ getting the children involved is a great idea, helping them take ownership of their space and playing an active role in nature conservation.
When doing a garden makeover we usually create the new infrastructure in the dormant winter months. This isn’t set in stone, but it is easier and less disruptive to pre-existing nature, taking shelter, hibernating or otherwise.
Helping yourself and others
Yes, there is a cost to having a garden makeover, but as a community interest company any profits we make are fed back into our community projects. So while you enjoy a beautiful and productive growing space, you’re also helping disadvantages and less fortunate people in the community. But that doesn’t mean a Greener Growth Garden Makeover is expensive, it’s still less than usual garden makeover designers & landscapers.
Read more about our Greener Growth Garden Makeovers and if you’re interested in our services for your own growing space, simply get in touch here.